Disability Resources

Tri County Independent Living (TCIL)

Tri-County Independent Living (TCIL) is a consumer-controlled, community-based, cross-disability, non-residential, non-profit organization that is designed and operated within a local community by and for people with disabilities.

We provide services to persons who self-identify as having one or more disabilities. Most TCIL services are available at no cost.

Eureka Location: 139 Fifth Street, Eureka, CA 95501

Phone Number: (707) 445-8404


Department of Rehabilitation (DOR)

The California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) works in partnership with consumers and other stakeholders to provide services and advocacy resulting in employment, independent living, and equality for individuals with disabilities.

DOR administers the largest vocational rehabilitation and independent living programs in the country. Vocational rehabilitation services are designed to help job seekers with disabilities obtain competitive employment in integrated work settings. Independent living services may include peer support, skill development, systems advocacy, referrals, assistive technology services, transition services, housing assistance, and personal assistance services.

We believe in the talent and potential of individuals with disabilities. We invest in the future through creativity, ingenuity, and innovation. We ensure our decisions and actions are informed by interested individuals and groups. We pursue excellence through continuous improvement. We preserve the public’s trust through compassionate and responsible provision of services.

Humboldt Location: 1330 Bayshore Way, Suite 101 Eureka, CA 95501

Phone Number: (707) 445-6300

Campus Disability Resource Center

The mission of the CDRC at Cal Poly Humboldt is to meet the educational and employment needs of its students, staff, and faculty without regards to disability.  By providing a specific venue for academic adjustment or accommodation and/or work accommodations, the University strives to provide reasonable and appropriate services to those in its community who have disclosed a disability or condition and who have requested accommodations.  The University strives to be responsive to the needs of its community through its commitment to providing services that support equitable access and foster equity and inclusion.

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
(closed for lunch from 12:00 pm-1:00 pm)

Accessibility Advisors are available by appointment or drop-in if available

Location: Lower Library, Suite 5E
West entrance, adjacent to the Library parking lot
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA  95521

Phone Number: (707) 826-4678

Disabled Person Parking Placards & Plates

A qualified permanently disabled person may obtain a Disabled Person (DP) placard or DP License Plates for all of their vehicles, for no additional fee. Find out if you are eligible and learn how to apply.

You can apply or replace Placards HERE

PG&E Programs

Are you among the many Californians who are struggling in these difficult times? As your local service provider and neighbor, we’re here to help. These financial assistance programs offer solutions for paying past-due bills now. Additional support programs provide guidance on reducing future household expenses. You may qualify for several programs at once and you can begin applying or enrolling now.

Program include:

  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance  (LIHEAP)
  • Relief for Energy Assistance through Community Help (REACH)
  • Arrearage Management Plan (AMP)
  • Payment Arrangement Plans


Social Security Administration

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs provide assistance to people who meet our requirements for disability.

The Basics About Disability Benefits

The SSDI program pays benefits to you and certain family members if you are “insured.” This means that you worked long enough – and recently enough - and paid Social Security taxes on your earnings. The SSI program pays benefits to adults and children who meet our requirements for a qualifying disability and have limited income and resources.

While these two programs are different, the medical requirements are the same. If you meet the nonmedical requirements, monthly benefits are paid if you have a medical condition expected to last at least one year or result in death.

California Connect

California Connect, also called the Deaf and Disabled Telecommunications Program (DDTP), is funded by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and is a public purpose program that provides communications equipment and services to persons with disabilities. The program’s accessible products and services are fully subsidized, removing financial barriers.

At California Connect, with the Deaf and Disabled Telecommunication Program (DDTP), the program’s goal is to make it easier for every Californian with speech, hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive disabilities to connect with the world around them in a way that is comfortable and convenient for them. We believe that equal access to communication is not a privilege, but a right.

California Connect wants to reach every single eligible Californian that wants fully accessible communication. If this is you or a loved one, connect with us today!

With California Connect, you can communicate YOUR way!

Explore California Connects Services Here

Need Help Filling out your Application?

Call 1-800-806-1191